Parma Ham, Parmesan, Spinach and Basil Savoury Muffins with Creamy Goat's Cheese
- 6 slices of Parma Ham, sliced into 0.5cm squares
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 1 handful roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 1 handful roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- 275ml milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 80g butter, melted
- Creamy goat's cheese, to serve
- Rocket leaves, to serve
- 12 slices of Parma Ham, to serve
- Salt and cracked black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, gas mark 5, and line a 12 hole muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Dry fry the Parma Ham squares for 1-2 minutes until crispy and set aside.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl and stir in the Parma Ham, crushed pepper, Parmesan, spinach and basil.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, beaten egg and melted butter and carefully fold into the dry mixture.
5. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden brown. Leave on a wire rack to cool.
6. Slice open the muffins and spread with goat's cheese. Add a few rocket leaves, sprinkle with black pepper and serve with a slice of delicious Parma Ham.
Cook’s Tip: Fold 1 tbsp of hot water into the mixture before spooning into muffin cases to kick-start the cooking process.