We’ve been an undercover lover of the SprinkleBakes blog ever since we laid eyes on author, Heather Baird’s spectacular frosting-coated creations. Not only are her bakes photographed beautifully, they also come with the sweetest stories and imagination – they’re every child’s dream and every adult’s fantasy. Be warned, once you get stuck in, you’ll be turning sticky page after sticky page.
We took five with the cake queen herself, asking her the 10 essential questions everyone wants to know about the world of food and blogging. Here’s what she had to say.
1. Describe your blog in 140 characters or less
My blog is all about adding more sparkle to your baking; desserts as pretty as they are tasty.
2. Which food blogs couldn’t you live without?
3. What’s the dirtiest, most worn cookbook on your shelf?
Le Cordon Bleu’s Complete Cooking Techniques book. I can no longer separate some of the pages in the desserts section.
4. What’s your proudest food blogging moment?
The SprinkleBakes dessert book was released May of this year. I think my proudest moment was holding the finished book in my hands after pouring so much love and time into the manuscript.
5. Can you tell us about any upcoming food trends you’ve spotted?
I’m not sure this is an upcoming trend, but I’ve been seeing “smoked” dessert recipes. I’d love figure out a way to cold-smoke chocolate ganache for truffles.
6. How do you judge the success of a blog post and what has been your top post?
The most successful blog posts are the ones that readers return to again and again because they love a recipe. My top post is Chocolate Cupcakes with Flaming Strawberries. I made it for Valentine’s Day one year and it had just the right amount of chocolate and drama to appeal to the masses.
7. What’s the one food you only eat behind closed doors?
Sometimes I stir peanut butter and white granulated sugar together in a bowl and eat it with a spoon.
8. What’s your best food photography tip?
Turn off the flash and use natural lighting.
9. Instagram filters on food – yes or no?
Mostly yes. Especially yes on birthday cakes.
10. What’s your favourite kitchen gadget?
My chef’s torch. It browns meringue perfectly but I love the simple pleasure of toasted marshmallows whenever I get a craving for them.
Get Heather's recipes for:Chocolate Cupcakes with Flaming Strawberries
More 10 Questions with:
We put the self-proclaimed 'Cupcake Editorialist and Frosting Guru' on the spot. Read her interview here.
"Sometimes I stir peanut butter and white granulated sugar together in a bowl and eat it with a spoon."