Beetroot Soup (Borscht)
- 8 spring onions
- 4 gherkins
- 4 cooked and peeled beetroot
- 400g potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or butter
- 250g diced beef shin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 litre beef or chicken stock
- 2 bunches of dill
- 200ml sour cream
1. Slice the spring onions, gherkins, beetroot, potato and onions, and reserve.
2. Heat the oil or butter in a large saucepan, add the beef and season well. Brown the beef all over. Add the vegetables and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about an hour.
3. Cool for a few minutes, then puree in the pan with a hand-held blender until quite smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. Chop the dill and divide the soup between four bowls.
5. Top with a spoonful of sour cream and the dill. Serve with rye bread.
Recipe courtesy of Kenwood's Around the World in 80 Plates