This comforting soup makes for a flavourful weeknight supper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, grated
- 1 470g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.4L fresh fish stock
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 500g monkfish, cut into chunks
- 1 medium sized firm-fleshed white fish
- 4 tubes calamari, scored and sliced
- 6 large head-on shelled and cleaned prawns
- 100g prawns
- 2 red peppers, roasted, skins removed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 spring onions with tops, sliced
- Zest of 1 ripe lemon
- Lemon wedges to serve
Heat the olive oil and gently fry the onion until soft and fragrant. Add the ripe tomatoes, tinned tomatoes and tomato purée and simmer for a few minutes.
Stir in the spices and garlic and allow the flavours to infuse. Ladle in the fish stock and some harissa paste and leave to simmer for another minute or so.
Add the leeks, fish, calamari, prawns and shrimp and allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. Add the roasted red pepper and scatter over the herbs and lemon zest over the top and serve with fresh, ripe lemon wedges and chunks of crusty bread.