Thai Breakfast Soup
- 1 cup longrain rice
- 2 x 150g fillet snapper (or any other white fish), sliced into small pieces
- 6 tsp fish sauce
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup roughly chopped coriander leaves and stems
- 4 tbsp finely sliced spring onion
- Extra fish sauce to serve
- For the Garlic Oil
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- For the Chilli Vinegar
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
- ½ cup white vinegar
1. For the garlic oil, heat vegetable oil over medium heat, add garlic and gently fry until the garlic is just starting to brown. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
2. For the chilli vinegar, combine chilli and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
3. To make the rice soup, place rice and 5 cups of water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil and gently simmer for 20 minutes until the rice becomes just tender. Add fish slices and stir gently. Simmer for a further 2 minutes or until fish is just cooked. The rice should be a soupy consistency, add more water if it’s too thick.
4. Place six individual serving bowls on your kitchen bench. Crack 1 egg into every bowl and add 1 tsp fish sauce to each. Ladle hot soup over raw egg and let it rest for about 1 minute to cook the egg. Garnish each bowl with coriander, spring onion, garlic oil, chilli vinegar and fish sauce.