Bacon-Apple-Jalapeno Pop 'Ems
- For the pop 'ems
- 1 (225g) package single cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, cored, minced
- 3 large spring onions, roots sliced off, green and white parts minced finely
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 jalapenos
- 20 strips thinly sliced bacon, chopped in half
- For the assembly
- 40 cocktail sticks
Serves: 40 pop 'ems1) Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
2) In a large bowl, stir and break down the cream cheese until smooth. Add the apples and spring onions, plus as much salt and freshly ground black pepper as you like.
3) Don a pair of plastic gloves so you don't burn your fingers or your eyes like I did. Slice each jalapeno in half lengthwise and then either slice out the membranes or use a measuring spoon to scoop them out. Discard the seeds.
4) Either using a teaspoon or a small icing spatula, fill each jalapeno half with the cream cheese mixture; fill until just over the rim of the jalapeno. Wrap each pepper with a bacon half and secure with a toothpick. Line up the pop 'ems on the prepared baking sheet and pop into the oven until bacon has browned on the bottom, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes (which will be as long as you can resist them). Enjoy with a cold beer! Aaah!