Streaky bacon and tomato pasta
- 3L water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 500g spaghetti pasta
- 500g thick-cut streaky bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 150g red onion, diced
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp garlic, minced
- 400g Roma tomatoes, diced
- 60ml red wine
- 4 tbsp basil, chiffonade
- 30g freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2) In a large saute pan over a medium heat, add the bacon and saute until crispy. Remove the bacon to drain on a paper towel-lined plate and remove 3/4 of the bacon fat from the pan.
3) Add the extra-virgin olive oil, onion and chilli flakes. Cook until the onions are translucent, add the garlic, cook for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes. Saute for 5 minutes, then deglaze with wine.
4) Drain the pasta and add to the tomato mixture. Add the basil and bacon, toss with Parmesan and add salt and pepper, to taste.