Banana and Pecan Pancakes
Go nuts for these pancakes, topped with candied pecans and maple butter.
- 500ml buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla essence
- 280g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 50g pecans, toasted and finely ground (not chopped)
- 55g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced in 1/2-cm circles
- Maple butter, recipe follows
- Icing sugar, to garnish
- Candied pecans, to garnish
- For the maple butter
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 65ml pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 piece parchment or greaseproof paper
2) In a large mixing bowl whisk the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla together so they are well combined. In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and sugar. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry and stir with a spoon to get rid of the lumps. Fold in the pecans, most of the melted butter and whisk until batter is smooth.
Note: You can also blend the ingredients for the batter in a food processor, then add in the pecans and melted butter.
3) Heat a pan over medium low heat and swirl around a little melted butter to keep the pancakes from sticking. Using a ladle pour the batter into the pan, see Cook's note.*Cook the pancakes on 1 side until they are set and then lightly press the bananas into the batter. When small bubbles appear on the uncooked surface, flip the pancakes and cook until golden on both sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer pancakes to a warming plate in the oven while you make the rest.
4) To serve, slice the maple-honey butter, layer it between the stack of pancakes and place in the oven to melt for 1 1/2 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar and candied pecans.
*Cook's note: The trick to perfect round pancakes is pouring all the batter in the same spot and letting it roll out to a complete circle.
5) To make the maple butter: In a mixing bowl, using a spatula mash the butter with the maple syrup and honey until well blended. Roll it up in the paper, like a tube and twist the ends. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.