Fried Courgette Coins
Recipe by:Food Network Kitchens
- 75g polenta
- 35g plain flour
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt, plus for seasoning
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- 2 small courgettes, sliced into 0.5cm thick coins
Serves: 4 servings, as a side dish1) Line a dish with paper towels and set aside. Whisk the cornmeal, flour, basil, salt, cayenne, and pepper in a bowl.
2) Beat the eggs in another bowl.
3) Heat 0.5cm vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
4) Working in small batches, toss the courgettes coins in the eggs, then coat in the cornmeal mixture to cover completely. Carefully drop the courgettes into the oil, and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side or until crisp. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared plate. Season with salt, cool slightly and serve.