Stuffed Jalapeño Popper Burgers
- For the burger patties:
- 800g minced steak
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 180g pickled green jalapenos, roughly chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 20g fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- To assemble the burgers:
- 4 brioche burger buns, split
- 4 slices low-moisture mozzarella
- 4 slices Red Leicester cheese
- Handful baby spinach leaves
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly and marinated in 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 8 gherkin slices
- 8 rashers streaky bacon, cooked until crispy
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup mixed with 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1. To make the jalapeno popper filling, combine the cream cheese, jalapenos, egg yolk and breadcrumbs in a bowl until well mixed. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
2. Divide the minced steak into four equal portions (approx. 225g per burger). Use wet hands to gently form a ball. Flatten the patty out using your palm and place three teaspoons of cream cheese mixture in the center. Carefully the edges of the burger patty around the cream cheese and ensure it’s completely covered. Gently pat the meatball into a round burger patty shape, taking care the filling isn’t pressed out. Remember the patties will shrink slightly once cooked so make them a bit wider than your buns. Repeat for the remaining three burger patties.
3. Place the burger patties on a lined tray and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
5. . Heat a non-stick frying pan. Drizzle olive oil over the burger patties and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Cook the burgers one at a time, about 2 minutes per side, brushing with some of the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce mixture on the cooked sides. Reserve some for serving. Place the burgers on a baking tray.
7. Place a slice of mozzarella and Red Leicester on each burger and bake for 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
8. Allow the burger to rest for 2 minutes while you prepare the buns.
9. Assemble the burgers, starting with the ketchup and Worcestershire sauce mixture, spinach leaves, jalapeno popper burgers, crispy bacon, gherkin slices and marinated onions. Spread some more ketchup onto the base of the bun lid and press gently. Serve the burgers immediately with onion rings and fries.
Copyright 2017 Food Network UK. All rights reserved.