Five Spice Potatoes with Poori
- For the five spice mix used in the tempering
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tbsp nigella seeds (onion seeds)
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- For the potatoes
- 1 kg of potatoes, peeled and parboiled
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, or enough to cover the base of your pan
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt to taste
- For the tempering
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp panchporan (five spice)
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 medium free-range eggs
In a wide nonstick pan, large enough to take all the potatoes without overcrowding, heat the oil to a medium-high heat and add the potatoes.
Sauté the potatoes until they're beginning to brown on all sides. Add the turmeric, chilli powder and salt and stir fry thoroughly. Allow the spices and potatoes to finish cooking.
In a separate frying pan add one tablespoon of vegetable oil and crack the eggs into the pan. Fry sunny side up until the egg white has cooked completely. This will only take two to three minutes
In a separate small shallow frying pan heat the oil till it begins to smoke and add the panchporan (five spice). Allow the seeds to crackle and pop, then add the green chillies and the chopped coriander.
Stir for a few seconds and pour this onto the cooked potatoes, add lime juice and stir well.
Serve the potatoes with fried poori's and fried eggs.