Sweet Potato Cakes
- 400g roasted maris piper potatoes, peeled and roughly mashed
- Flour for dusting
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 150g paneer, crumbled
- Handful shredded spinach leaves
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp garlic/ginger paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g roasted sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly mashed
- Vegetable oil for shallow frying
Heat oil in frying pan until smoking, then add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. When they begin to crackle add the red chilli powder, garam masala, ginger/garlic paste and fresh red chilies. Stir for one to two minutes.
Then add the spinach and stir until it's completely coated in the spice mixture. Remove from heat when the spinach begins to wilt, it will continue to cook in the heat of the pan.
Place the two types of potato into a large mixing bowl and add the spiced spinach mixture. Mix well, season and add the paneer and chopped coriander.
Mould into small cakes and dust with flour. Place the cakes in the fridge to firm up for about an hour and shallow fry in hot vegetable oil for one to two minutes on each side.
Drain well on absorbent paper and serve.
For more information on the spices used in Reza's recipes, look inside our Indian spice box.