Salsa and Chips
- 4 ripe tomatoes or 4 plum tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 jalapeno (or to taste), minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, recipe follows
- For the tortilla chips
- Twelve 6-inch corn tortillas (preferably white)
- Fine salt
Serves: about 2 cups
In a small bowl, mix together the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1 hour. Serve with tortilla chips.
Pour the oil into a large heavy-bottomed pot to a depth of about 2 inches. Place a deep-frying thermometer in the pot. Heat the oil over medium heat to 182°C.
Meanwhile, stack the tortillas, and cut the pile into sixths to make chips.
Raise the heat to high. Working in batches, fry the chips, turning them with a skimmer or slotted spoon, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chips to a paper towel-lined pan to drain. (Return the oil to the proper temperature between batches.) Cool and season with salt. Serve.