These cheesy, savoury scones can be served with chutney or cold meats.
- For the scones
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for the baking sheet
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 55g unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 150g cheddar cheese, grated
- 150ml whole milk
- For the garlic butter
- 45g unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
1) Position an oven rack in the upper third section of the oven and preheat the oven to 220°C/ gas mark 7. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and sprinkle with a little flour.
2) Pulse the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar, sugar and salt in a food processor until well combined. Add the cubes of butter and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the cheese and milk and pulse 2 or 3 times.
3) Roll the dough out to a thickness of 3cm and cut into rounds using a pastry cutter. 9At this point you can transfer to a freezer-safe container to cook from frozen later. Please note, cooking times will increase when cooking from frozen and you may need to lower your oven temperature slightly.) Place the rounds onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, until golden.
4) Meanwhile, make the garlic butter. Melt the butter with the garlic in a small saucepan over a medium heat. When the butter begins to foam, cook for one minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Once the scones are cooked, brush with garlic butter and serve warm.