Smothered Mushrooms and Kale
- 2 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil
- 25g butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 24 small crimini mushrooms, wiped clean, halved
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed, stems removed, chopped
- 65ml Marsala or sherry
- Salt and pepper
2) When the fat is hot, add the garlic and mushrooms and place a lid which is too small for the skillet down into the pan, pressing and smothering the mushrooms. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, stirring once, then wilt the kale into the pan, turning it with tongs to combine with mushrooms.
3) Smother the greens for 1 to 2 minutes, then deglaze the pan with Marsala or sherry, and season the mixture with salt and pepper, to taste. If you want to make this ahead of time, at this point you can cool and transfer to a freezer-safe container. Remove from the freezer and allow to defrost at room temperature, then simply reheat in the microwave, stirring often until piping hot all the way through.