Spiced Lamb Skewers with Blackberry Quinoa Salad
Jazz up your lamb dish with delicious fresh blackberries.
- For the lamb skewers
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, roughly crushed
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns, roughly crushed, plus a little extra
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 teaspoons runny honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Few salt flakes
- 700g lean lamb leg steaks, cubed
- 125g fine asparagus
- For the quinoa salad
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 200g mixed red and white quinoa with bulgur wheat
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 200g blackberries
- 100g sun blush tomatoes in oil, drained
- Small handful flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Small handful fresh mint, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
Add the garlic, crushed cumin and peppercorns to a shallow dish; add the lemon juice, honey, 1 tablespoon oil and a generous sprinkling of salt and fork together to mix. Add the cubed lamb and toss in the garlic mixture then thread on to 8 small metal skewers.
Toss the asparagus with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and a little extra salt and pepper.
For the quinoa salad, bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan; add the quinoa mix and simmer for 12 minutes or until the grains are just beginning to separate.
Pour off any excess stock, leaving just enough in the pan to keep the quinoa moist. Tip into a bowl then add the remaining salad ingredients and toss together with a two spoons.
Preheat a griddle pan or grill and cook the lamb skewers for 10-12 minutes, turning several times until browned. Take out of the pan, add the asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender.
Add the asparagus to the salad then serve with the lamb skewers. Squeeze over lemon juice to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Seasonal Berries