Oma's German Potato Salad
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (about 4), peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Put the potatoes in a large pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and cook until fork-tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Let the potatoes cool for 45 minutes; they will still be warm but will hold their shape when sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside. Remove the drippings from the pan; return 3 tablespoonfuls and discard the rest.
Add the onions to the pan and sweat over medium heat until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the vinegar, mustard, sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
Add the cooled potatoes, half the cooked bacon, half the scallions, half the parsley and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with the remaining bacon, scallions and parsley.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.