Peas and Pasta Salad
- 1 pound cavatappi pasta
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 (15-ounce) jar salad dressing (recommended: Miracle Whip)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 10 ounces frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
Cook the pasta in salted boiling water as directed on box for al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and place the cooked pasta in a large bowl filled with ice water to stop the pasta from over cooking. Stir until the pasta is cool, then drain in a colander shaking to release as much water as possible.
To make the dressing: In a large bowl mix the red onion, salad dressing, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar. Taste and then season with a pinch of salt and grind or two of pepper. Add the pasta and completely coat with the dressing. Add in the peas, cheese, and bacon. Cook's Note: If making ahead, cover and refrigerate the salad until ready to serve, then add the bacon right before serving.