Farro Salad with Griddled Aubergine
A light, sherry vinaigrette brings this salad to life.
- 200g farro
- 3 Japanese (baby) aubergines, halved
- 1 small red onion, peeled, halved, and thickly sliced
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g cherry tomatoes, washed and sliced in half
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- Sherry Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- For the sherry vinaigrette
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 60ml sherry vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 120ml olive oil
Cook farro in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and place in a large bowl.
Heat griddle to high. While the farro is cooking, brush the aubergine and onion slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. Griddle for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Remove from the griddle and cut into 2 1/2 cm dice.
Add the aubergine and onions to the farro along with the tomatoes and dill. Pour sherry vinegar over the farro mixture and stir to combine.
Garnish with additional dill. Best served at room temperature.
To make the sherry vinegar:
Whisk together the shallot, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and dill in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the oil until emulsified.