Chocolate Layer Cake with Fruit
- For the cake
- 30g cocoa powder
- 150ml water
- 250g sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 125g Stork
- 200g plain flour
- 70g cornflour
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g frozen red berries
- Fresh strawberries and raspberries
- For the filling
- 200g cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 200ml fresh whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 175°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line 3 round cake tins (23cm / 9 inches).
2. Blend the cocoa powder with the hot water and set aside. Separate the eggs.
3. Whisk the sugar with the egg yolks in a bowl until light and fluffy. Add the Stork and beat the mixture once again until incorporated.
4. Sift the flour, cornflour, bicarbonate and the baking powder and fold into the mixture.
5. Whisk the egg whites with the vanilla until they’re stiff and fold into the batter gently.
6. Pour 1/3 of the mixture into one of the cake tins.
7. Add the cocoa to the remaining batter, mix well and pour half of the mixture into the second tin.
8. Add half of the frozen red berries to the leftover mixture and pour the remaining mix into the third tin.
9. Put in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean (this means the cake is cooked).
10. Once the cakes are cooked, remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
11. To make the filling whisk the cream cheese with the sugar, the lemon zest and the lemon juice. In a separate bowl whip the cream until well thickened and combine with the cream cheese mixture.
12. To layer the cake start with the chocolate cake with the berries, spread a layer of the cream cheese filling. The second layer should be the plain sponge, add another layer of filling and sprinkle the remaining berries. On the top put the chocolate cake and cover the entire cake with the remaining cream cheese. Garnish with strawberries and raspberries.
Instead of fruit you could decorate with chocolates and/or your favourite candies.
Recipe courtesy of Stork