Chocolate mousse with chilli chocolate crisps
The chilli adds a real kick to this super simple mousse.
- 300g dark chocolate
- 6 eggs, separated
- Pinch salt
- 20g white chocolate chips
- 1 red chilli
2) In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks until light and fluffy. Pour into the chocolate mixture while stirring quickly to avoid cooking the eggs in lumps.
3) Beat the egg whites in a clean glass bowl until they form medium peaks then add the salt. Carefully fold one metal spoonful into the chocolate mixture until smooth.
4) Add the remaining egg whites gently, one spoonful at a time, ensuring you avoid losing any of that lovely air you just spent time whipping into the whites.
5) Neatly transfer the chocolate mousse into glasses or espresso cups and put in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
6) Meanwhile, melt the remaining 100g of dark chocolate in a double boiler as before. Finely chop the chilli.
7) Spoon the melted chocolate onto greaseproof paper and in the centre sprinkle a little of the fresh chilli.
8) Melt the white chocolate in a separate double boiler and spoon into a greaseproof bag. Cut a very small end off the bag and drizzle the white chocolate over the top of the chilli/chocolate crisps. Put in the fridge to set for one hour.
9) Serve the crisps on top of the chocolate mousse glasses.