Chocolate pudding and pretzels
- 100g pretzels, lightly crushed
- 45g butter, melted
- 115g sugar, plus 2 tbsps
- 45g cocoa powder
- 2 tbsps cornflour
- 500ml milk
- 1 egg
- 25g plain chocolate chips
- Special equipment: 4 (125ml) ramekins
1) Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2) On a sheet tray, gently toss pretzels, butter and 2 tbsps sugar. Bake until sugar melts and crystallizes on the pretzels, about 10 minutes.
3) Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, whisk together the cocoa, 115g sugar and cornflour. Form a well in the centre and slowly whisk in milk over medium heat. This helps prevent the cornstarch from clumping. Bring mixture to a boil to thicken. Remove from heat. In a small bowl, whisk a little of the milk mixture into the egg to temper. Add egg mixture to the pot of milk.
4) Heat over low until mixture thickens to a pudding-like consistency, about 3 to 5 minutes. Mix in chips until melted and combined well. Pour pudding into ramekins. Chill at least 1 hour. To serve, top with pretzels.