Flourless Chocolate Cake
A gluten-free chocolate cake which moist and dense and pure indulgence.
- 340g milk or dark chocolate, chopped
- 180g unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 330g granulated sugar
- Icing sugar and/or cocoa powder, for dusting
- For the really vanilly whipped cream
- 240ml double cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla paste or essence
- 2 tsp icing sugar
2) Put the chocolate, butter and salt in a large microwave safe bowl. Melt in the microwave on 75 percent power for 2 minutes. Stir and microwave again until completely melted, about 2 minutes more. Alternatively, put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl. Bring a saucepan filled with a couple centimeters or so of water to a very slow simmer; set the bowl on the pan without touching the water. Stir occasionally until melted.
3) Beat the eggs and sugar with a standing or handheld mixer until light and thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Fold the melted chocolate into the whipped eggs until evenly combined.
4) Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out wet but not gooey, about 1 hour and 25 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a rack.
5) When ready to serve remove the ring from spring form cake pan. Dust the cake with icing sugar or cocoa powder. Serve with really vanilly whipped cream, or ice cream if desired.
For the really vanilly whipped cream:
1) Beat the cream and vanilla in a chilled non-reactive bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer just until they hold a loose peak. (Lift the beater from the cream and look at the shape of the peak at the end of the whisk; it should hold a lazy curve.)
2) Sift the sugar over the cream and continue to beat just until it holds a soft peak. Take care not to over beat the cream or it will be look curdy. Serve, or refrigerate covered for up to 4 hours.
Copyright 2007 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved