Let your love take biscuit form with these traditional treats.
- 125g butter, room temperature
- 180g plain flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 drops of lemon extract (optional)
- 65g caster sugar, plus more for sprinkling on top of the shortbreads
2) Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the lemon zest and essence.
3) Sift in the flour and roughly combine. Using your hands, bring the mixture together to form a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
4) Remove from the fridge, roll out on a floured surface to around 3-5mm in thickness. Cover the disc in cling film and return to the fridge for a further 15 minutes.
5) Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter (or any other cutter you may want to use), cut out your shortbread shapes. Place on a greased and lined baking sheet and, using a fork, prick holes into your shapes. Cut larger holes in the top if you wish to tie them with a pretty ribbon once cooled.
6) Sprinkle with sugar and bake for around 12-14 minutes.
7) Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Tie with ribbon, if using.
Note: Don't let your shortbreads brown too much (a little golden tinge around the edges is fine). If you find they're overbrowning, turn your oven down and bake on the bottom rack for a little while longer.
Serve alongside Milk chocolate and raspberry puddings.