Black Forest Gateau
- For the Chocolate Genoise
- 5 gggs
- 140g caster sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 100g self-raising flour
- 25g melted butter, cooled
- For the Berry Coulis
- 500g frozen berries
- 100g sugar
- One orange, zest and juice
- Cherry Jam
1. Heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Butter and line a 30cm x 35cm shallow baking tray.
3. Using an electric whisk beat 5 eggs and 140g of caster sugar together until light and fluffy. This should take about 5 minutes.
4. Sift 25g of cocoa powder and 100g of self raising flour over the mixture.
5. Carefully fold through the mixture taking care not to lose the air in the mixture then fold in 25g of cooled melted butter.
6. Pour the mixture into the tray and carefully smooth with a palette knife.
7. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes or until the cake feels firm.
For the Berry Coulis:
1. Defrost the berries, put them in a sauce pan. Add sugar on top and mix together.
2. Add a splash of Kirsch and turn on the hob.
3. Put on a low heat and let cook 2 or 3 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
4. Cut the cooled cake into circular discs with a cookie cutter. Each dessert requires 2 discs. Lay out the bottom layer of discs and cover each with some of the juice from the coulis and a layer of cherry jam. Sit the the top layer discs on top of the jam to form a circular sandwich.
5. Place the each cake sandwich disc into the serving bowl, and spoon fruit and juice from the coulis around the cake sandwiches.
6. Top each one with a neat circle of whipped cream, and with a microplane grate some good quality chocolate over the top to garnish.