Classic Gingerbread Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving
Serves: Cuts into 18 to 24 portions
Preheat the oven to 175°C and grease a 9-x-13-inch cake pan.
Beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the molasses, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, and ginger.
In a separate bowl, sift the flour with the spices and the salt. Add this to the butter mixture and stir until blended. Stir the boiling water and baking soda and add this quickly to the batter, stirring quickly and then stir in the crystallized ginger (the batter will be fluid). Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pan and cut into squares to serve warmed with a dusting of icing sugar and a dollop of whipped cream.
The cake will keep, wrapped, for up to 3 days.