Recipe by:Food Network Kitchens
4 to 6
- 55g unsalted butter, plus more for the baking dish
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 375ml whole milk
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more as needed
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 900g broccoli (about 4 heads), cut into small florets (about 8 cups)
- 100g grated strong Cheddar
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
Serves: 4 to 6 side-dish servingsPlace a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 230C/Gas Mark 8.
1) Butter a 20 x 20 x 5cm baking dish.
2) Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and nutmeg and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the white sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with pepper. Remove from the heat.
3) Meanwhile, bring about 2.5cm of water to a boil in a large saucepan and set up a steamer on top. Put the broccoli in the steamer and season with salt. Cover, and steam until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
4)Put the broccoli in the prepared dish, sprinkle with half of the cheese and pour on the sauce. Cover with the remaining cheese.
5) Melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Cover the gratin with the bread crumbs. Bake until lightly browned and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.