Courgette Fritters with Red Pepper Mayo
Vegetarian fritters make for a delicious starter - especially with creamy pepper dip.
- 250g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Emeril's Essence Creole Seasoning, recipe follows, plus more if desired, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 450g courgette, small dice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley sprigs, plus more for garnish
- For the Creole seasoning
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- For the Roasted Red Pepper Mayo
- 80g diced roasted red pepper
- 220g mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
To make the Roasted Red Pepper Mayo: Combine the red pepper, mayonnaise, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor, and process for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and process for 30 seconds longer. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning, and the cayenne. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
In a large heavy-bottomed pot or deep-fryer, heat 4 to 6-inches of vegetable oil to 175°C.
While the oil is heating, place the courgette into a small bowl along with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the fresh parsley. Mix to combine thoroughly. Add this mixture to the batter and stir to incorporate.
Using a 2-tablespoon scoop, carefully drop 10 portions of the batter into the hot oil. Cook, turning the fritters as necessary, until nicely browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total. Drain the courgette fritters on paper towels and repeat with the remaining batter.
Sprinkle the chopped parsley over the hot fritters, season with additional Creole seasoning, if desired, and serve immediately, with the Roasted Red Pepper Mayo alongside. Combine all ingredients thoroughly.