A light and refreshing starter or main course in under 20 minutes.
Recipe by:Food Network Kitchens
- 450g cooked crabmeat
- 235g prepared mayonnaise
- 4 tsp chilli sauce
- 10g finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 4 to 8 Butterhead lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 4 thick slices beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded, peeled, and quartered lengthwise
Serves: 6 starter servings1) Using your fingers, carefully pick through the crab and discard any bits of shell or hard cartilage. Try to leave the lumps as intact as possible. Put the meat in a large bowl.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, chilli sauce, green pepper, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, spring onion, a couple dashes Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Season the dressing with pepper to taste.
3) Gently fold about 60ml of the dressing into the crab with a rubber spatula. Take care not to break the crab into smaller pieces. Put the crab salad and the dressing in the refrigerator until cold.
4) Meanwhile, put the hard-boiled egg in a fine sieve set over a bowl. Using the back of a spoon, rub the egg through mesh to make a fine textured garnish. Set aside.
5) Divide the lettuce leaves among 4 plates. Top each with a tomato slice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place an avocado quarter across each tomato slice and top with 1/4 of the crab mixture. Spoon some of the dressing over the crab and sprinkle each salad with some of the egg. Serve and pass the remaining dressing at the table.