Ginger and Mushroom Wined Clams
- 1 tbsp of groundnut oil
- 2.5cm piece of root ginger, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 2 tbsp dried shrimps, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, then drained (optional)
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, then drained and sliced, or 3 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 300g clams
- 100ml vegetable stock
- Salt and ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp of cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp of water
- Large handful of coriander
First scrub the clams, removing any debris from the shells and discarding any that remain open when tapped against a hard surface.
Heat a wok over a high heat until it starts to smoke and then add the groundnut oil. Add the ginger, dried shrimps (if using) and mushrooms and stir-fry for a few seconds.
Tip in the clams and stir-fry for one minute.
As the shells start to open up, add the rice wine or dry sherry.
Pour in the stock and cook for three to four minutes or until all the shells have opened. Discard any that remain closed.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and thicken the cooking liquid with the cornflour paste. Toss in the coriander and let it wilt slightly, then remove from the heat, transfer to a large dish and serve immediately.
Ching's Fast Food is published by HarperCollins, priced £20.