- 2 anchovy fillets, mashed
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 cup black nostraline olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup green Sicilian olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- Toasted bread and garlic, to serve
- Sliced heirloom tomatoes, to serve, optional
Cook's Note: Nostraline olives are a type of black olive from the Tuscany region of Italy. Any high-quality brined black olive, such as nicoise or kalamata, can be used in their place.
Mash the anchovies with the garlic in a mortar and pestle. Mix in the olives, olive oil, parsley, lemon juice and capers. If desired, serve the tapenade on toasted bread rubbed with raw garlic, a drizzle of olive oil and a slice of beautiful heirloom tomato.