Pesto Chicken Penne
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp dried Italian mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 500g penne, cooked until al dente
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- For the pesto
- 200g fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 100g pine nuts, toasted
- 100g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 green chilli, deseeded
- 160ml olive oil
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
- Fresh basil, to serve
1. To make the pesto: place the pesto ingredients in a food processor, except for the olive oil. Blend until smooth and well combined. Add the oil in a thread like motioning until you have a thick pesto.
2. Transfer to a sterilized jar and cover with a layer of oil to seal. Store in the fridge until needed.
3. For the chicken penne, heat 1 tbsp of the pesto oil in large saucepan and sauté the garlic for a minute.
4. Add the chicken strips and season with salt and pepper and dried Italian herbs and fry for around 5 minutes until almost cooked through.
5. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Mix with the cooked penne and enough basil pesto for the mix. Add a squeeze of lemon and grated rind.
7. Finish with Parmesan shavings and basil leaves and serve while still warm.