Healthy Chicken Chow Mein
- 800ml chicken stock, made with 1 chicken stock cube by Sainsbury’s
- 460g pack British chicken breast fillet portions by Sainsbury’s
- 3 nests of medium egg noodles by Sainsbury’s
- 1⁄2 tbsp olive oil by Sainsbury’s 2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 red chilli, washed and finely chopped
- 300g pack mixed pepper stir fry by Sainsbury’s
- 200g pack mange tout by Sainsbury’s, sliced lengthways
- 100g bunch spring onions, trimmed and sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce by Sainsbury’s
Put the stock in a large pan, place over a medium-low heat and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the chicken and poach for 15 mins until cooked through with no pink remaining.
Remove with a slotted spoon, leaving the stock in the pan. Use two forks to shred the chicken and set aside.
Add the noodles to the pan of stock and simmer for 3-4 mins until just tender. Drain, reserving 300ml of the stock.
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the ginger, garlic, five spice and chilli and stir-fry for 1 minute.
Add the mixed pepper stir fry, mange tout and spring onions. Stir-fry briskly for a further 3 mins. Add the shredded chicken, noodles, soy sauce and reserved stock. Heat through for 1 minute, then serve.
Recipe courtesy of Sainsbury's