- 1 medium head escarole (about 12 ounces), rinsed and outer leaves removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices bacon, preferably center cut
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grilling
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 ripe medium tomato, halved
- 4 lemon wedges, for serving
1. Soak four 6-inch bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes and preheat grill to medium.
2. Cut escarole lengthwise, through core, into 4 wedges. Season with salt and pepper. Wrap each wedge tightly with 2 slices of bacon; secure with skewers and brush with 1/4 cup olive oil. Place bundles skewered side down and covered with a disposable aluminum pan on grill. Cook, turning occasionally until bacon is crisp, about 12 minutes.
3. Lightly brush bread with additional olive oil, season with salt and black pepper to taste and char on grill, about 1 minute per side. Remove and rub bread with cut side of tomato halves until toasts are saturated with tomato's juices.
4. Top each crostini with an escarole bundle and serve with a lemon wedge.
Copyright 2009 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved