30-minute turkey chilli
Packed with protein and beans, you can make this chilli and freeze in batches.
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 15g tomato puree
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, coarsely chopped, with 1 tbsp sauce
- 450g turkey mince
- 350ml Mexican lager-style beer
- 1 (415g) tin whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 (475g) tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Sliced spring onions, coriander sprigs, avocado, sour cream, grated Monterey jack cheese, and/or tortilla chips, for garnish, optional
2) Stir in the tomato puree and the chipotle chilli and sauce; cook 1 min more. Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until the meat loses its raw colour, about 3 mins.
3) Add the beer and simmer until reduced by about half, about 8 mins.
4) Add the tomatoes – crushing them through your fingers into the skillet – along with their juices and the beans; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 10 mins.
5) Ladle the chilli into bowls and serve with the garnishes of your choice.
Cook's Note: The larger surface of a skillet reduces sauces faster than simmering in a saucepan.