Veggie Lover's Club Sandwich
- 1/2 Hass avocado, pitted
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 12 slices whole wheat or sprouted grain bread, lightly toasted, if desired
- 1 cup packed baby rocket
- 2 1/2 ounces thinly sliced ready-to-eat smoked tofu or smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup packed sun-dried tomatoes, fully rehydrated
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced unpeeled English cucumber
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced pepperoncini (about 1 ounce)
- 2 1/2 ounces thinly sliced provolone
- 1 large freshly roasted orange or red pepper, cut into 12 pieces, or 1/3 cup store-bought roasted peppers
Squeeze or scoop the avocado from the skin into a small bowl. Mash with a fork and stir in the vinegar, oregano, yogurt and garlic to make a smooth spread. Thinly spread the avocado mixture onto one side of each slice of bread.
Top 4 of the slices of bread with the arugula, tofu, onions and sun-dried tomatoes. Place 4 of the remaining slices on top, avocado-side down. Top with the cucumbers, pepperoncini, provolone and roasted peppers. Place the remaining bread slices on top, avocado-side down.
Insert bamboo picks into each sandwich, cut in half on the diagonal with a bread knife and serve.