Weeknight Two-Bean Chilli
A vegan chilli made with two kinds of beans, Chinese five spice and spicy jalapenos.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small jalapeno, minced (with some seeds)
- 1 small or 1/2 large red onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup canned crushed roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder or ground cinnamon, optional
- Two 15-ounce cans beans (such as kidney and black), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup finely shredded extra-sharp Cheddar (2 ounces), omit if vegan or replace with vegan cheese
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add the jalapenos, onions and vinegar and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes, chilli powder and five-spice powder if using, and increase the heat to high. Bring to a full boil and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the beans and return to a full boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until just slightly thickened but still soupy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro.
Fill each bowl with about 1/2 cup of rice. Ladle the chili on top, sprinkle with the Cheddar and serve.