Big Bud's Beer Can Chicken
- 1 (1kg to 1.5kg) whole chicken
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (350ml) can of beer
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g bacon
2) Mix the oregano, garlic and onion powders, paprika, ginger, sage, salt and pepper in small bowl. Rub 1/2 of the mix inside the cavity of the chicken. Gently peel the skin away from the chicken and rub the remaining mixture into the meat of the chicken.
3) Open the beer can and pour out about 120ml into a glass. Drop the garlic cloves into the can. Place the chicken, open end down, over the beer can so it is inside the cavity.
4) Place the chicken, standing on the can, in large baking tray. Place 1/3 of the bacon in the top cavity of the chicken and drape the remaining 2/3 of the bacon down the outside of the chicken, securing with cocktail sticks.
5) Place the chicken in the oven for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 170C/Gas 3 and cook for another 1 hour, or until the internal temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reaches 74C on an instant-read thermometer.
6) Remove from the oven and serve warm with accompaniments of your choice.