Spicy Bacon Guacamole
A creamy Mexican favourite with the sneaky addition of crispy bacon.
- 4 strips bacon
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons drained jarred pickled jalapeno slices, chopped, plus 2 teaspoons brine
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- Tortilla chips, for serving
Place the bacon in a large skillet and set over medium heat. Cook, turning, until crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined-plate to drain.
Meanwhile, halve and pit the avocados. Scoop the avocado into a medium bowl and add the lime juice, cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mash with a fork until combined but still a bit chunky. Add the red onions, pickled jalapenos and brine and tomatoes, reserving a few pieces of tomato for garnish.
Crumble the bacon into the bowl, saving a spoonful for garnish, and stir together to combine. Garnish with the reserved tomato and bacon and the additional pickled jalapenos. Serve with tortilla chips.