Steak with Whisky Peppercorn Sauce
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 small glasses (150ml) whisky
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 pot parsley, chopped
- 250ml double cream
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 rib eye steaks
- For the Tomatoes
- 6 fresh tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Pinch salt
- Pinch coarse ground black pepper
- Pinch granulated sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 5.
2. Place the tomatoes into a baking tray, and then drizzle over the oil and the vinegar. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sugar.
3. Place into the preheated oven and cook for 1 hour to let them dry out. Keep spooning over the oil and vinegar so they glaze nicely.
4. Next, make the sauce by placing the onion, stock cube, whisky, water, peppercorns, vinegar and mustard into a saucepan.
5. Bring to the boil, then simmer until reduced by ¾, then add the parsley and the double cream, re-boil and remove from the heat. Season well with salt and pepper, then cover with cling film.
6. Meanwhile, preheat the grill or frying pan until nice and hot, add a little oil.
7. Season the steaks well with salt and pepper and grill or fry until the steak is to your liking. This will take between 4-8 minutes on each side.
8. Once cooked remove from the pan and keep warm (rest) for 5 minutes.
9. Serve with the cooked oven chips and lots of rocket.
Recipe courtesy of Aldi