Lemon Yoghurt Cake
- For the cake
- 210g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 240ml plain whole-milk yogurt
- 265g granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla essence
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 80ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
- For the glaze
- 125g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180°/gas mark 4. Grease an 21cm x 11cm x 6cm loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into 1 bowl. In another bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, 200g sugar, the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it's all incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
3. Meanwhile, cook the 80ml lemon juice and remaining 65g sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
4. When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
5. For the glaze, combine the icing sugar and lemon juice and pour over the cake.