Boiled Orange and Almond Cake with Caramelised Liqueur Oranges
- 6 oranges
- 225g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 250g ground almonds
- 50g flaked almonds
- 250g caster sugar
- 50ml Cointreau
1. Drop 3 of the oranges into boiling water and simmer for 1 hour.
2. Remove, deseed, and blitz to a pulp in Kenwood Tri-blade blender or similar blender with a chopper attachment.
3. Mix the sugar and eggs with the stick blender attachment in blender beaker.
4. Measure 450g of the orange pulp and put into a food processor with the other ingredients.
5. Mix and tip into a non stick cake tin, sprinkle over the almonds and bake at 180°C for 25-30 mins.
6. Remove and cool on a wire rack.
7. To make the Caramelised Liqueur Oranges, peel and cut through horizontally into thick rounds and arrange on a single layer in the base of a shallow dish.
8. Take a cold pan, add the caster sugar and swirl carefully over heat until the sugar turns to a dark golden caramel.
9. Immediately add the reserved orange juice from slicing and the alcohol. Be aware that this may ignite.
10. Pour over the oranges on a tray and leave to cool at room temperature.
11. Serve with the cake.