A classic recipe for the ever popular jerk chicken. Treat yourself to a feast.
- For the Jerk paste
- 85ml cider vinegar
- 65ml dark rum
- 40g dark brown sugar
- 1 bunch spring onions, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet chilli, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 2 tbsp Pickapepper or other hot pepper sauce (see Cook's Note, below)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated peeled ginger
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 chicken (about 2.7kg), cut into portions
2) Heat the oil in a medium skillet and cook the sauce over medium heat, stirring, until the oil is absorbed and the sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Cool.
3) Rub the jerk paste all over the chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hrs.
4) Heat the barbecue to medium-high. Cook the chicken, skin side down, over direct heat and cook for about 35 to 40 minutes, turning occasionally, until juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a fork. Let the chicken rest for about 5 minutes, then serve
|Cook's Note: Pickapeppa,the celebrated Jamaican bottled sauce. is a blend of tomatoes, onions, sugar, cane vinegar, mangoes, raisins, tamarind, peppers, and spices. Fans use this "Jamaican ketchup" on all manner of grilled foods. It adds a distinct punch to this version of the island's spicy jerk marinade.