The Ultimate Jerk Chicken
Tyler Florence isn't afraid of spice, his recipe will get your taste buds singing.
- For jerk marinade:
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 onion
- 8 cloves garlic or 1 whole head
- 1 (2.5cm) piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 3 limes, juiced
- Splash low-sodium soy sauce
- 60ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper,halved, plus more to taste
- 50g packed light brown sugar
- 1 whole free-range chicken (about 2.25Kg), cut into 10 pieces
- Limes, for garnish
- Parsley, for garnish
- Smoking chips, soaked in water for 15 minutes
2) Add chicken pieces into a large resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Put the bag into a baking dish and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
3) Preheat grill to high.
4) Prepare a table-top smoker or take a roasting tray, line it with foil and add some soaked wood chips to the bottom. Place a wire rack over the top, upside down, and lay chicken pieces over the chips on the rack. Cover with foil and grill over high heat. Smoke for 10 minutes.
5) Preheat oven to 150C/Gas mark 2.
6) Transfer the chicken pieces to a baking sheet and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Bake in the oven low and slow until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the baking sheet to a serving platter and garnish with limes and parsley before serving.