Courgette 'Hash Browns' and Eggs with Berry-Nana Smoothie
- For the Berry-Nana Smoothie
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yoghurt
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey, optional
- 2 frozen ripe bananas
- For the Zucchini 'Hash Browns'
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced with some seeds
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 3 large courgette or yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- 8 large eggs
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
For the smoothies: Combine the berries, yoghurt, orange juice, honey and bananas together in a blender, and puree until smooth. Divide evenly among four glasses and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the 'hash browns': Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add the sage, garlic and jalapenos and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the vinegar, squash, 3/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper, and stir to combine. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash begins to soften, 6 to 8 minutes. Uncover and add the red pepper and half of the parsley. Cook until the squash is completely soft and lightly brown, 6 to 8 minutes more. Remove from the heat.
Make 8 small indentations in the squash with a measuring cup or the back of a ladle. Crack the eggs into the indentations and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return the pan to medium heat, cover and cook until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes.
Divide the 'hash browns' and eggs evenly among four plates. Serve each with a smoothie and 1 slice of toast.