Chinese chicken salad
- For the chicken salad
- 4 split chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
- Good olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g asparagus, ends removed and cut in thirds diagonally
- 1 red pepper, cored and seeded
- Chinese dressing, recipe follows
- 2 spring onions (white and green parts), sliced diagonally
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
- For the Chinese dressing
- 120ml vegetable oil
- 60ml good apple cider vinegar
- 60ml soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 60g peanut butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas mark 4. Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub the skin with some of the olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
2) Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large bite-sized pieces.
3) Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain. Cut the peppers in strips about the size of the asparagus pieces. Combine the cut chicken, asparagus and peppers in a large bowl.
4) Pour the dressing over the chicken and vegetables. Add the spring onions and sesame seeds and season to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.
For the Chinese dressing:
1) Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and set aside until ready to use.