Creamy Lemon-Pepper Orzo with Chicken and Fig Salad
Wine match: Rosemount Blends Gewurztraminer Riesling (GTR)
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup whole wheat or other whole grain orzo
- 1 cup frozen petit pois, thawed and patted dry
- 4 ounces finely crumbled goat cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as basil and tarragon
- 6 cups prepared salad mix
- 1 cup dried figs, halved
- 2 tablespoons prepared balsamic vinaigrette
Whisk together the yogurt, 2 teaspoons of the oil, the garlic, lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl until well combined.
Bring a pot of water to a boil and preheat an outdoor or indoor grill to medium heat.
Rub the chicken thighs with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Grill until nicely marked and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board at let stand for at least 5 minutes.
Add the orzo to the boiling water and cook according to package directions for al dente, stirring in the peas the last minute of cooking. Drain the orzo and peas, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Stir the orzo and peas into the yogurt mixture, along with half of the goat cheese, 3 tablespoons of the herbs and at least three-quarters of the reserved cooking liquid, until well combined. Evenly divide among four plates.
Thinly slice the chicken and arrange on top of the orzo. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and the remaining 1 tablespoon fresh herbs. Toss the salad greens, figs and vinaigrette together, divide evenly among four small salad plates. Sprinkle each with some of the remaining goat cheese. Serve.