Baked Caprese Salad
Celebrate the food of love with this Italian classic featuring juicy tomatoes.
- 1 loaf baguette, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices (about 30 to 36 slices)
- 60ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 625g fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, stemmed
Arrange the sliced baguette bread on a baking sheet. Brush with some of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake until the bread is pale golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
Top each slice of bread with a slice of tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top each slice of tomato with a slice of mozzarella and sprinkle with salt. Return the baking sheet to the oven until the cheese and tomato are warmed, about 5 minutes.
Arrange the toasts on a serving platter. Top each toast with a basil leaf. Using the brush, drizzle the remaining olive oil over the basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve.