- 250g unsalted butter
- 140g dark brown muscovado sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Mix in the egg yolk.
3. Stir together the flour and spices and fold in to the creamed mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
4. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for at least 2 hours.
5. Roll out to approximately ½ cm thick and cut into star shapes.
6. Use a wooden skewer to make a little hole in one of the points of each star (to thread ribbon through to hang when cooked.) Place on a greased baking tray and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes, this stops the biscuits from spreading.
7. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Cool and then decorate in any way you want; coloured icing, silver balls and hang with pretty ribbon.