Buffalo chicken salad
Ellie Krieger doesn't hold back on flavour with her healthy chicken salad.
- For the buffalo chicken salad
- 2 (225g) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tbsps cayenne pepper hot sauce (or other hot sauce), plus more to taste
- 2 tsps olive oil
- 2 cos hearts, cut into 2-cm strips
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 spring onions, green part only, sliced
- 125ml Blue Cheese Dressing, recipe follows
- For the blue cheese dressing
- 2 tbsps mayonnaise
- 70ml semi-skimmed buttermilk
- 70ml plain skimmed yoghurt
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 35g crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1) Preheat the grill.
2) Put the chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper and pound with a mallet or hammer so the chicken is an even thickness of about 2-cm, then cut the chicken crosswise into 1-cm strips.
3) In a large bowl, combine the hot sauce and the oil, add chicken and toss until the chicken is well coated. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet and grill until it is cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes, turning once.
4) In a large bowl combine the cos, celery, shredded carrots and spring onions. Toss with the blue cheese dressing. Divide the greens between 4 plates, top with the chicken. Serve with extra hot sauce.
For the blue cheese dressing:
1) Fold a full sheet of paper towel into quarters and put it into a small bowl. Spoon the yogurt onto the paper towel and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to drain and thicken.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk and thickened yogurt into the mayonnaise until smooth. Add the vinegar and sugar and continue to whisk until all the ingredients are well combined. Stir in the blue cheese and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.